Local Authority within Lewes (BN7)
6 Month temporary role - with potential of being ongoing
Full time 37hrs per week
£16.50 PAYE P/H
We are looking for an experienced paralegal who would be able take on a caseload independently, dealing with a variety of civil claims pursued against the Local Authority.
Ideal candidates would have previous experience in public sector and / or working knowledge of civil claims arising under the Highways Act 1980 and the Occupiers Liability Act 1957.
- To support and assist fee earners in the preparation and conduct of a full range of routine and complex case work and to provide support in relation to the provision of legal advice.
- To carry a caseload with the minimum of supervision.
- To provide a high quality legal service to client departments to enable them to implement decisions within the law and to protect the County Council against prosecution and challenge.
- Provide legal and administrative support to the lawyers working in the team.
- To advise client departments of legal and other consequences of proposed courses of action.
- To undertake casework as required; particular areas of law may be assigned to the post but it is essential that the post holder should be able and willing to carry out a variety of legal work.
- To be aware of and adhere to the County Council's health and safety policies, procedures and to adhere to the County Council's commitment to equal opportunities.
- To participate in the development of quality systems for Legal Services and in particular the retention of accreditation under Investors in People and the Law Society's Practice Management Standards (Lexcel).
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with the grading of the post as deemed necessary by the Senior Solicitor.
- A rolling case load of 150 outstanding claims (approx.)
- Working in a Team of 5 working within a wider team of 15.
- A hardworking and enthusiastic person who has an ability to interrogate information and form a decision with a legal frame work.
- Ideal candidates will be IT literate and have the ability to easily navigate new databases and systems.
- Ideal candidates will be ideally eager to be working in a legal environment and enjoy working in a sociable group.
*Please be advised that only successful candidates will be contacted*
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy